Wednesday, January 1, 2014

That Stereotypical Resolution Post

Happy New Year, everyone!  It's that time again, the time to look back on the previous year and resolve to change and improve what we can.  If you remember last year's list at all, you'll know that I like to keep my resolutions fairly short and simple.  In my opinion, the longer and more complicated your list, the more likely that you'll forget about your resolutions or worse, give up.  So here we go.

1.  Remember to read for pleasure.
Last year, I definitely achieved my goal of reading more.  I didn't quite make my 50 Book Reading Challenge on Goodreads, but I did manage to read a whopping 43 books and couldn't be happier with that number.  I had almost forgotten how good it felt to read for fun, and was amazed at how much I could achieve if I took an hour or so out of my day to just read whatever I felt like.  I hope to keep this up in 2014, and if you'd like to know more of my bookish goals for the year, check out this video.

2.  Get better at keeping in contact with friends.
This is something I really suck at.  And I don't just mean friends from high school, but even my friends who live around the block.  Because I'm not someone who every really feels the need to be social, I tend to epically stink at responding to emails, text messages, Facebook invites and the like.  Ironically, I'm the best at responding via snail mail.  This year I'd like to make more of an effort to maintain contact with current and old friends because I know that this will make me a better friend in general.

3.  Exercise more regularly.
This was another resolution from last year that I actually sort of achieved.  I actually started working out and found that I really liked walking, running, hiking, and doing yoga.  Exercising on a regular basis, however, was not my strong suit.  I went through periodic spurts of exercising before slacking off.  This year, I want to try and stick to a more regular work-out schedule, because I know that it's actually something I like spending time on.

4.  Treat people the way you want to be treated.
I have always been really good about this.  I personally try to treat everyone with as much kindness, patience, and understanding as I can.  However, this year I want to extend this idea to how I treat (or talk about) people when they're not there.  This means less gossiping and talking negatively behind other's backs.  Again, just breaking myself of this habit will make me a better and more positive individual.
And now for two Internet goals:

For the Blog:  Get organized and post at least once a week.
This past couple of months, I feel like I have finally figured out what I want to be doing with this blog.  Yes, I know it only took me four years to get it together, but better late than never, right?  I will eventually have to figure out what to do with this space once I graduate (5 months, baby!!), but for now I want to focus on putting out better content more frequently.  This means getting organized, planning ahead, actually drafting posts and prepping visuals during the weekend.

I do have several things I will be sharing and talking about before the end of my undergraduate career, I am always open to post suggestions.  If you ever have a topic you'd like to see addressed here on Little Girl, feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email.

For YouTube:  Participate actively and start more discussions.
I have been having so much fun since I joined the BookTube community on YouTube.  I've gotten to meet so many fantastic people from around the world that I otherwise would never have known.  Most excitingly, I have gotten to interact with several authors and review their books.  This resolution is a bit of a continuation of the above No. 2: I want to do a better job of maintaining interaction with both my viewers and the YouTubers that I follow in this upcoming year.  I want to keep looking at this as just another opportunity to meet like-minded people, and these relationships will require just as much upkeep as any in "real life."

I also want to do more discussion videos.  I only did one last year, but was completely stunned, overwhelmed, and pleased with the response.  I have so many ideas and bookish topics that I'd like to discuss, I don't know if I've ever been this excited about continuing a creative project.

And those are my resolutions for 2014!  What are you guys planning to work on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!