Wednesday, January 22, 2014

College Confidence: Body Images and Resolutions

Around New Years, most people set some kind of a "body resolution."  That can be anything from dieting, losing a certain amount of weight, reaching a certain fitness goal, etc.  I know that I personally set the goal to exercise more regularly.  For the purpose of this post, I will be focusing on the female body because, well, that's what I know.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about why so many people feel so dissatisfied with their bodies that they plan to alter them over the course of the year.  While some people make changes for the sake of simply being healthy, it often seems that others have purely aesthetic body goals.  Of course, this doesn't really surprise me.  We live in such a visual, media-centered society in which we are constantly being presented with the "ideal body": long legs, nice curves and a small waist.  The media doesn't often portray the true range of real female bodies, and we thus feel the need to all try our best to fit the same mold.

I had never really had to deal with any of this until I got to college.  Yes, I had my own insecurities about my body back in high school, but I had mainly guy friends so it wasn't something we really talked about.  But coming to college, I was pretty shocked at just how many girls had significant issues with their bodies and just how often they talked about it.  And again, there was almost no talk about being healthy, just about being smaller, leaner, skinnier.

So I want to open this up to you all.  Have you had this same experience either with friends or yourself?  Do you set health goals or simply want to get down a size or two?  Do you think this is something more young women should be talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!