Monday, April 15, 2013

Realizations from Tragedy

Hello all, on this not so pleasant occasion.  Life is crazy right now, trying to cram in paper after paper, but I could not concentrate after the frightening events today at the Boston Marathon.  So I've decided to take to the blogosphere for some soul searching.

I was in fifth grade when the towers went down on 9/11.

I remember that all my teachers were a bit tense, but I didn't really know what was going on.  After school, I was surprised to find my mom parked in the same spot she had occupied earlier that morning for drop off.  Only years later did she tell me that she went to Target to buy a battery operated radio before spending the rest of the day sitting in my school parking lot, just in case she needed to get to me in a hurry.

Unfortunately, I have lived through enough national tragedies (the latest being the horrendous school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut) that I am not rocked to the core when something awful happens.  Yes, each event makes me lose a little faith in humanity, but I never personally feel unsafe or at risk.

But today, this is different.  Today I watched a video clip of families and friends, spectators of the Boston marathon getting attacked by an explosion from the center of the crowd.  And I do feel just a little bit less safe.  Even watching as law enforcement and members of the armed forces swarmed in and quickly contained the situation, it really struck home that someone was mentally able to do this to hundreds of people and, by extension, their families.

Maybe this is my delayed realization that terrorism is a real thing that can happen to anyone, any time.  Maybe this is me finally realizing the gruesome nature of murder for no apparent reason.  But at the same time, it's instances like this that make me want to study criminal law, so that I can be a part of the system that ensures that horrible people who can commit crimes like this answer for their actions.

To all the families and victims effected, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  To those armed forces and law enforcement officers who protect us each and every day, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!