Saturday, April 13, 2013

Clueless in College: Swearing

So, I decided to start a new little segment here on the blog called Clueless in College because, let's face it, I'm still pretty clueless after almost three years of observing college life in its natural environment.  As the title of this post suggests, I'll be talking about swearing this time around.  Let me start with a little anecdote.

Earlier this week I was sitting in the cafeteria at school, working on some homework.  The entire space was buzzing with the amazing sound that comes from countless students talking and moving around.  And yet one conversation stuck out amidst all that noise, from directly behind me.

"I was like s--- man, this is just a f------ tv show!"

I turned around to catch a glimpse of the speaker, only to find a very cute Asian girl in pigtails and a sundress cussing up a storm while reminiscing about the Power Rangers tv show with a friend.  Cussing about Power Rangers.  Really?

I cannot understand why so many young people, in both high school and college, feel the need to swear in every single sentence.  If you want to spice up your conversations, how about scouring a thesaurus for some interesting, clever words instead?  I find it particularly disappointing in college students, because I think that it sounds very uneducated and essentially negates the whole point of getting a good (and very expensive) college education.

This is not to say, of course, that I am perfect and never swear.  I just think that it's best to do so in moderation.  Besides, doesn't using a word all the time negate its scandalousness?  Over the summer, I felt like I was swearing too much and that I was wearing the f word out every time I stubbed my toe.  I now reserve the f word for only the most serious of moments when I really want to punctuate.  For clumsiness, I now prefer "frack."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!