Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wall Wednesday: Homemade Touches

Happy Wednesday, everyone!  It's been a couple of weeks since I've settled in back at school and my grandparent's house.  I've shared pictures of my room before, such as in this post, though I have to say it's quite transformed.  The furniture is new and now I've started adding my own little touches!


I borrowed this picture hanging idea from my friend Justine.  I just used the nails that were already in the wall, some basic string, and fun little binder clips.  It makes for an easily changeable display for pictures, post cards, and this little watercolor that I bought last year at the Ferry Building farmer's market.  It's one of a kind; the artist had a whole book of these small, Bay Area inspired paintings. 


To cover up those nails I just mentioned, I turned to one of my favorite crafty bloggers, Cornflower Blue Studio and her pattern for crochet stars.  Although I like to say that I can crochet, in reality, I barely can.  That being said, this pattern is super easy and fun to do, and after making quite a few stars withs scrap yarn, I still have plenty left!  Aren't they cute?



I am a big fan of inspirational quotes and collages; my room back home is full of them!  Here, I decided to combine the two, pairing magazine cutouts and quotes from books I've read on fun, patterned scrapbook paper.  I've got about five of these squares up on my closet doors right now, and hope to have them both completely covered by the end of the year!


This is a small oil painting that I rescued from certain doom last year.  There was an assignment to create our own Impressionist painting in one of my art history classes, and at the end of it one of my classmates was just going to throw it out.  It's no Monet, sure, but I actually love the rough feeling of it.


And finally, my most recent addition: a little box for my needles, ruler, and whatever else happens to end up in there!  Remember that day I said I'd been gluing?  Well, here's the finished product!  I used an old box from an Amazon order I'd received, glued some Sunday funnies on it, and knitted it a little band for it.  Although the band it completely my design, I again referred to Cornflower Blue for a bow pattern.  It may not look like much, but I love it.  Nothing like displaying something that you've made yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!