Thursday, June 2, 2011

Disappointments

Hello, all. Do you ever have those days where every little thing that goes wrong seems to be much more important than it really is? I'm definitely having one of those days.

Last night, my MacBook Pro decided to crash on me. Now, I actually managed to not freak out too much, as it had happened before and I was pretty sure that I knew what the problem was. Instead, I calmly set up an appointment with the Genius Bar at our local Apple Store, and took it in this morning. The "Genius" was very nice, and the poor guy worked on it for nearly an hour before conceding that it was a harddrive problem that he couldn't fix. Fortunately, I can get the harddrive replaced for free. Unfortunately, we may not be able to retrieve any of my files from the computer, which (ironically enough) I was starting to back up when the computer crashed. 

Needless to say I left the store trying not to freak out in public. But what can I say? I have all my writing, all my music, all my artwork, and all my pictures from freshman year on that computer. Losing all that is like losing an entire year of my life. Well, that's probably a little overly dramatic, but that's how I'm feeling right now. Thankfully my dad knew of another repair shop, so we took it there where they are trying to diagnose the problem and see if they can save the data. That being said, until I get the new harddrive, I am stuck using this very old computer that I got in seventh grade:


Now, don't get me wrong. I'm thankful to still have a computer to use at all. But for a self-proclaimed internet junkie, this is a blow. This computer's ability to perform even the most basic of tasks on the internet is spotty at best, and it cannot handle videos at all. But, at least I can still write for all of you lovely people. In fact, this whole experience has really forced me to realize just how addicted to technology I am. Between my laptop and my Blackberry, I am almost completely controlled and indebted to the machines in my life.

To add insult to injury, I received an email from Threadless.com informing me that my design has been dropped from voting, and will therefore not be getting printed. Apparently I didn't get enough positive votes within the first 24 hours it was up. I blame the computer meltdown, as I didn't get to do half of the promoting I had planned. Well, that and the fact that it was only my first design and I'm still learning how to draw for an audience. I guess I'll have to just keep designing and submitting!

Thanks for listening to me rant. May the end of your week be better than mine.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Marisa!
    I'm so sorry I was out all day, and didn't vote in time!
    And I'm sorry to hear about your computer woes. The hard drive of my PowerBook died a year ago, and that's when I began backing stuff up on a consistent basis. I was shockingly calm about the whole thing ... there was something really cool about starting all over again with a clean slate. Hope it feels that way for you, too, once you get your computer back.
    Love,
    Uncle Francis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it was no problem. For a first design, I should have been expecting much. And yeah, now I'm backing up my computer religiously! Sorry I didn't notice your comment until just now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!