Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jane Eyre


Being the eager English majors that we are, last night Justine and I went to a late showing of the new film adaption Jane Eyre, starring Mia Wasikowska. Having just read the book for one of our English classes, we were eager to see what this new film adaption would bring to the table. Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed in what we saw.

Don't get me wrong, the film is truly beautiful and moving. The acting is amazing, and the costuming, location, props... all of it was just right. However, because I consider myself fairly well aquatinted with Charlotte Bronte's book Jane Eyre, I cannot say that it was a good film adaption. The movie left out so many vital parts of the book, while portraying Jane in such a weak and dependent way that it actually changed the meaning of the story.

Now, having said that, I don't discourage you from going to see it, especially if you have read the book. I would be very interested to get other people's opinions on this adaption. Although you may wince at the somewhat butchered plot, the acting will pull at your heartstrings. If you haven't read the book, I also encourage you to see the movie, but I would hope that you would not judge the book based on what you see on screen.

On a final note, we are coming up on the end of the semester, which means lots and lots of work. I have two finals and four research papers in the next two weeks, which means my presence here will be very scarce. But never fear, as soon as I get a free moment I will write another post. I have loads of pictures I haven't yet shared with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!