Monday, May 2, 2011

The Death of Osama Bin Ladin

Well, I'm pretty sure everyone in the United States knows by now that Osama Bin Ladin is dead. He was the leader of al Qaeda who was found to be the mastermind of the attacks on September 11th, 2001. Late last night, President Obama announced that the special U.S. security force dedicated to finding Bin Ladin had finally succeeded.

Needless to say, this is definitely a victory for the U.S. in the so called war against terror. The death of Bin Ladin has probably brought peace and closure to many families of the victims of 9/11. I know that I personally feel that (in a very eye-for-an-eye sense) justice has been served. However, I don't know how much this will really change anything. All the reading into the issue I've done has suggested that Bin Ladin didn't exactly micromanage al Qaeda, which means that it will be easier for someone to simply step into his role as leader of the group and continue their day to day operations. While I hope that his death has weakened the organization, I have a feeling that we will just have to wait and see how things play out in the next couple of weeks.

No matter what ends up happening, I think this would be a good time for all of us to remember all of the men and women serving in our armed forces and thank them for all their hard work. Without them, things might have turned out a lot differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!