Monday, March 14, 2011

Not For Sale


Good news! I survived midterms and papers, and it's finally spring break! I flew home to sunny southern California on Saturday, and am enjoying the change of scenery and weather. I don't think I even realized how much I missed shorts and tank tops!

But I have something important and serious that I wanted to talk to you all about. I am taking a contemporary ethics class dealing particularly with immigration, and the book that we are currently reading is called Not For Sale by David Batstone. It discusses the "return of the global slave trade" and basically serves to make us aware that there are people facing economic slavery, sex trafficking, and child soldiery throughout the world. The cool thing about this book, though, is that it doesn't stop with that. Rather just being a book, it is the beginning of an entire movement, known as the Not For Sale Campaign. They have branches throughout the United States that focus on fundraising, educating, and training people to be "modern day abolitionists." What they do is very important, and it starts with simply educating people and making them aware of the atrocities that are being committed across the globe.

For those of you who are technically up to date, they make it very easy for you to be informed. Not For Sale also runs another website, Free2Work.org. This site is focused on making people into smart consumers. They take different companies and rate them based on the typical school grading scale here in the U.S., based on how ethically their products are produced. They have even converted some of their information into a handy-dandy app for the iPhone or iTouch. I know you all have at least one or the other of these devices, so check it out. It's completely free.

I really encourage you all to check out these websites and get some more information. Better yet, go buy and read the book. It will really change the way you think about things, and it will make you want to get involved, or at least live differently. I think it's important to say that I'm not getting any money or recognition for promoting the cause like this. I'm just doing it because it's something that really impacted me and opened my eyes to parts of the world around me that I didn't know existed, and I just want to share this knowledge and opportunity with all of you. What you do with it is your decision.

Happy March, everyone, and check back soon for more pictures from San Fran!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!