Saturday, October 16, 2010

Home Sweet Home


I haven't posted in so long that it may qualify as a case of neglect. But never fear, I promise to make it up to you.

Last weekend was fall break, allowing me to go home for the four day weekend. I didn't realize how many little things I missed until I was able to use them again. Like not having to wear flip-flops in the shower, getting to use my own toilette, and good breakfast food. I didn't do too much; rather, my family treated it as though it were any weekend. I got to help with chores, go shopping with my mom, and eat dinner with my family. The normalcy and simple household tasks made me feel completely relaxed.

I also got to see the tree in my backyard drop some of its leaves as the season changes.


I flew back on Tuesday night, and it was weird being back on campus. My dorm room is, however, really beginning to feel more comfortable. According to my mom, that's simply because it's becoming my reality. I personally think it's because I'm really adding my personal touch and making it reflect me, which makes it just feel right. I've started a sort of collage/collection on my wall:


Maybe I will post more pictures as the collection grows.

Today marked a landmark in my college experience so far, as it was the first Friday that I actually went out at night to do something. A large group of my friends and I took a trip to Market Street to see the movie "Never Let Me Go." It's based on the amazing book by Kazuo Ishiguro, and although sad, was a very good movie. It felt good to go out at night, even if it was just for something as simply as a movie. Quite frankly, I'm proud of myself.

The ride back to campus was a little more eventful. When our bus stopped at one of its designated stops, a homeless man got on the bus and refused to pay the fare. Of course, he also refused to get off the bus, and the driver ended up calling the police. He declared the bus temporarily out of service until the cops showed up.

Needless to say, we got off the bus to avoid the trouble that was brewing. Our group ended splitting up; three of my friends ended up taking a cab back to campus, while the rest of us decided to "rough it" by sticking to public transportation. Of course, the bus we ended up taking was so crowded that we got stepped on, sat on, and temporarily separated. But we got off okay, and had a good story to tell our friends.

Everyone needs at least one crazy, late night experience on the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them here. I would love to hear from you!